Material Potential with James Dean

The first assignment was to construct a light by unconventionally using one material and one fastener found in Home Depot. We were told to find 3-5 materials as well as several fasteners, and from these materials pick one material and fastener to create our light. The materials I chose were tile spacers, split washers, and mounting bases, and the fasteners I chose were zip ties, and gorilla glue. I wanted my materials to be semi transparent, a material that will partially shield the intensity of the light. I approached this assignment two different ways. One was to design a module and through the process of repetition to create some form, and the second to create a malleable surface which I can form around the light.

After a series of explorations, I decided to explore both approaches using mounting bases to build a square module and a combination of mounting bases and tile spacers to create a malleable surface:

Using 750 mounting bases, I created 125 square modules. These individual square modules were held together by a single flipped over mounting base and gorilla glue. The form of the final product was was confined by the shape of the square modules. The double sided tape on each mounting base filters the intensity of the light, as well as define each module. Dimension: 7.5" x 7.5" x 8.5"

By combining the mounting bases and tile spacers, I created a malleable surface which I tried molding over the light. The first image uses the front side of the surface, while the second image uses the second side. Dimension: 10" x 10"