Art Teaching Philosophy

I believe the goal of art education is to open eyes to new ideas about what has been and what can become.  The more one knows about the world when they are young, the better citizen they can become as an adult.  In this way art education prepares us to be active and productive members of society.

I believe that parents and community members have a responsibility to take part in all school art events.  When everyone gets involved in putting on the plays or raising money for class trips or participating in school art expos, they are supporting the greater good.  Students see the community outreach and will do the same, wherever they go.

I believe students have a curiosity for art because it is one of the only subjects they can use their imagination for visual communication.  Using different media, students have even more possibilities for visual expression.  Art has a balance of structure and freedom.

I believe the role of the art teacher is to be a guide, not to be the giver of answers, but the giver of questions.  Students can learn on their own paths and still have a teacher to help question the known and unknown.  They also integrate other disciplines into the curriculum.  Art education creates a haven for all interests.